Fulton County Courthouse

The Fulton County Courthouse, built between 1911 and 1914, is an historic courthouse building located at 160 Pryor Street SW in Atlanta, Georgia, the Fulton county seat. It was designed by noted Atlanta-based architect A. Ten Eyck Brown (1878–1940), along with the Atlanta firm of Morgan and Dillon. It is officially the Lewis B. Slaton Courthouse.

On September 18, 1980, the original building was added to the National Register of Historic Places. An annex across the street is connected via skywalk. Both are located in the South Downtown.

In March 2006, Brian Nichols escaped from a sheriff's deputy at the courthouse, causing her brain damage, and then killing the judge in his rape trial, a court reporter, and another deputy, and later a man at another location, before kidnapping and holding a woman hostage. He was found guilty of all 54 counts against him at his trial, which was moved to Atlanta Municipal Court to avoid the crime scene where most of the killing spree occurred.

Media

2 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com