French King BridgeEdit profile
The French King Bridge is a three-span "cantilever arch" style bridge crossing the Connecticut River on the border of the towns of Erving and Gill, Massachusetts. The bridge carries automobile traffic and is part of Massachusetts Route 2.
The bridge is owned and managed by the Massachusetts Highway Department.History
The French King Bridge, aka FKB, was opened to traffic on September 10, 1932. The bridge was awarded the "Most Beautiful Steel Bridge" in 1932 by the American Institute of Steel Construction. It was rebuilt in 1992, and refurbished again between 2008 and 2010.Name
The name comes from a near-by geographic feature named French King Rock.
A view north from the top of the bridge during summer (August 2007)
A view from the bridge to Connecticut River at Autumn
A view of the road surface and guard rails
The southwest lamp post
Guardrails on the north side of the bridge
The honorary plaque on the North West side of the bridge