Franklin and Armfield OfficeEdit profile
Now known as Freedom House, the Franklin and Armfield Office was started in 1828 by Isaac Franklin and John Armfield. The office was known to have been the largest slave trading firm in the antebellum south. At its height in the 1830s, the firm transported between 1,000 and 1,200 slaves from Alexandria to New Orleans each year. It then closed in 1836 and was sold several times to George Kephart, Price, Birch, and Company, and Solomon Stover. The property was used by the Union to imprison Confederate soldiers and was then a hospital from 1878-1885. The office can be found at 1315 Duke Street in Alexandria, Virginia.