Frankfurt Germany TempleEdit profile
The Frankfurt Germany Temple is the 43rd constructed and 41st operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Located in the city of Friedrichsdorf, Germany, it was built with the same general architecture as the six-spire design used in the Boise, Chicago, and Dallas temples, but it was only given a single-spire. The Frankfurt Germany Temple was announced on April 1, 1981, and originally dedicated on August 28, 1987 by Ezra Taft Benson. The temple was built on a 5-acre (20,000 m 2) plot, has 4 ordinance rooms and 5 sealing rooms, and has a total floor area of 24,170 square feet (2,245 m 2). A previous German temple was dedicated in Freiberg, Germany in June 1985, while it was still part of the then German Democratic Republic. After the reunification of Germany on October 3, 1990, Germany became only the second country outside of the United States to have more than one temple, this and the Freiberg Germany Temple. The first foreign country with more than one temple had been Canada where less than six weeks earlier on August 25, 1990, the dedication of the Toronto Ontario Temple had taken place, becoming Canada's second temple, joining the Cardston Alberta Temple which first had been dedicated in August 1923. Canada now has six temples in operation, with the Vancouver British Columbia Temple now under construction, for a total of seven Canadian temples. England would become the third country outside the United States to have a second temple when the Preston England Temple was dedicated in June 1998. Other countries with more than one temple in use are Australia with five temples open, Brazil with four in operation and two more under construction (for a total of six), Japan with two temples, one in Tokyo and one in Fukuoka, and Mexico, which has 12 temples currently in operation throughout the country.