Fourteen Foot Bank LightEdit profile
Fourteen Foot Bank Light is a lighthouse in Delaware, United States, in the Delaware Bay near Bowers Beach. Built in 1885-1886 at the south end of Joe Flogger Shoal, it was the first lighthouse to be built using a pneumatic caisson. The wooden caisson structure was excavated to a depth of 23 feet (7.0 m) below the seabed, then filled with 2000 cubic yards of concrete. A cast iron base was meanwhile erected on the caisson as it sank. A house-like structure was built on top of the base, designed by H.A. Ramsay and Son of Baltimore. Engineers for the structure were Anderson and Barr, and the contractor was D.P. Heap.
The light is eleven miles offshore, and therefore not visible from land.