Fort Western
Fort Western was a colonial outpost at the head of navigation on the Kennebec River at modern Augusta, Maine, United States. It was built in 1754 by a Boston land company (the Kennebec Proprietors) to promote settlement in the area. The fort was a log palisade with blockhouses which protected a store and warehouse. It was never directly attacked. From a high elevation a large rectangular enclosure commanded the river for more than a mile. Blockhouses 24 feet square and watch-boxes 12 feet square guarded opposite corners, and within stood a two-story main house 100 feet by 32 feet.

American Revolution
After 1769 Fort Western fell into decay. In 1775, Benedict Arnold's expedition to Quebec stopped here long enough to build bateaux. Arnold, Daniel Morgan, Roger Enos, and Aaron Burr stayed as guests in the garrison, while their force camped outside. Fort Western was the starting point for their march through the wilderness.

Old Fort Western
In in 1919 the buildings were restored and opened to the public. Today it is the oldest log fort in the United States. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is owned by the city of Augusta. The fort and store are maintained as a museum, and are open to the public during the summer months. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1973.

Building Activity

  • Nadezhda Nikolova
    Nadezhda Nikolova activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via