Fort Verde State Historic ParkEdit profile
Fort Verde State Historic Park in the town of Camp Verde, Arizona, is a small park that attempts to preserve parts of the Indian Wars-era fort as it appeared in the 1880s. The park was established in 1970 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places a year later. Settlers in the mid-19th century near the Verde River grew corn and other crops with the prospect of getting good prices from nearby Prescott, which was the territorial capital, and from nearby miners. The rapid increase in population for the mining economy disrupted the hunting and gathering environments of the local Indian tribes, the Dilzhe'e Apache and Yavapai. In turn, they raided the farmers' crops for food. The farmers requested military protection from the U.S. Army and, in 1865, although Arizona was still only a territory, the Infantry arrived. They set up a several posts over the next few years:
- 1865, a small camp five miles (8 km) south of what is today Camp Verde.
- 1866-1871, Camp Lincoln (Arizona), a mile north of today's Fort Verde.
- 1871-1873, Camp Verde (built gradually from 1871 to 1873)
- 1879 Camp Verde renamed Fort Verde
- 1891, Fort Verde abandoned
- 1899, sold at public auction