Formerly a sub-installation of Fort Eustis, Fort Story (now known as Joint Expeditionary Base East) is a sub-installation of the United States Navy and Little Creek Amphibious Base. Located in the independent city of Virginia Beach, Virginia at Cape Henry at the entrance of the Chesapeake Bay , it offers a unique combination of features including dunes, beaches, sand, surf, deep-water anchorage, variable tide conditions, maritime forest and open land. Fort Story is the prime location and training environment for both Army amphibious operations and Joint Logistics-Over-the-Shore (LOTS) training events. The base includes 1,451 acres (5.9 km²) of sandy trails, cypress swamps, grassy dunes and soft and hard sand beaches. The western beaches are wide, gently sloped and washed by the waters of the Chesapeake Bay. Eastern beaches are exposed to the rougher waters of the Atlantic surf.

History

Installation history
Fort Story became a military installation in 1914 when the Virginia General Assembly gave the land to the U.S. Government "to erect fortifications and for other military purposes." The base was named for Gen. John Patton Story, a noted coast artilleryman of his day. During World War I, Fort Story was integrated into the Coast Defenses of Chesapeake Bay, which included Fort Monroe (Headquarters) and Fort Wool. After World War I, the base was designated a Harbor Defense Command and entered a period of post-war inactivity which lasted until the beginning of World War II. In 1941, prior to the United States entering World War II, the Headquarters of the Harbor Defense Command was moved from Fort Monroe to Fort Story and two additional harbor defense installations were added. In 1944, Fort Story began to transition from a heavily fortified coast artillery garrison to a convalescent hospital for returning veterans. By the time of its closing March 15, 1946, the hospital had accommodated more than 13,472 patients. In 1946, after World War II, the first amphibious training at Fort Story began with the arrival of the 458th Amphibious Truck Company and Army DUKWS. Fort Story was officially transferred to the Transportation Training Command, Fort Eustis, and designated a Transportation Corps installation for use in training amphibious and terminal units in the conduct of Logistics-Over-The-Shore operations. Fort Story was declared a permanent installation on December 5, 1961.

Historic features
Fort Story has three historic sites. The Cape Henry Memorial Cross marks the location where the Jamestown Settlers first landed in 1607. The Old Cape Henry Light was the first lighthouse authorized and built by the Federal Government. At the Battle of the Virginia Capes Monument, there is a statue of French Admiral François Joseph Paul, comte de Grasse to commemorate the famous sea battle on September 5, 1781 which prevented the British from reaching Yorktown during the American Revolutionary War. Also of historical interest, the passenger station built in 1902 and served by the original Norfolk Southern Railway was restored late in the 20th century and is used as an educational facility by the Army. Coastal artillery batteries of two 16 inch coast gun M1919 were installed in the early 20th century to defend the entrance to Chesapeake Bay from attacking naval forces. These weapons were removed shortly after World War II and the large armored gun emplacements and former ammunition bunkers are currently used for storage.

Current Utilization

Command structure
As a result of a 2005 Base Realignment and Closure recommendation, Fort Story Operations was transferred to the United States Navy. On October 1, 2009, Fort Story became Joint Expeditionary Base East.

Tenants
The following organizations were present at Fort Story in 2009: AAFES 11th Transportation Battalion Army Reserve Center U.S. Army School of Music Directorate of Training and Doctrine FORSCOM Logistics Training Cluster, Saltwater Annex U.S. Marine Corps Training and Advisory Group Naval Special Warfare Group 2 Ranges Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal Training and Evaluation Unit Two Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit 10 Navy Undersea Warfare Center Shipboard Electronic Systems Evaluation Facility NATO Communication Logistical Activity

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com