Fort StoddertEdit profile
Fort Stoddert was a stockade fort in the Mississippi Territory, in what is today Alabama. It was located on a bluff of the Mobile River, near modern Mount Vernon, close to the confluence of the Tombigbee and Alabama Rivers. It served as the western terminus of the Federal Road which ran through Creek lands to Fort Wilkinson in Georgia. The fort, built in 1799, was named for Benjamin Stoddert, the secretary to the Continental Board of War during the American Revolution and Secretary of the Navy during the Quasi War. Fort Stoddert was built by the United States to keep the peace by preventing its own settlers in the Tombigbee District from attacking the Spanish in the Mobile District.
Aaron Burr was held as a prisoner here after his arrest at McIntosh in 1807 for treason against the United States. Fort Stoddert served as the outpost for the Mississippi Militia during the Creek War from 1813 to 1814. The site declined rapidly in importance after the establishment of the Mount Vernon Arsenal and the capture of Mobile by the United States in 1813.