Fort Saint VrainEdit profile
Fort Saint Vrain was an 19th century fur trading post located at the confluence of Saint Vrain Creek and the South Platte River about 20 miles (32 km) east of the Rocky Mountains in the unorganized territory of the United States that would later become the State of Colorado. A historical marker notes the place where Old Fort St. Vrain once stood, located about seven miles north of Fort Vasquez, Colorado, at the end of Weld County Road 40. Among those who helped to establish it was Ceran St. Vrain, after whom it was named.
Like neighboring forts, the structure was built to accommodate trade with Native American tribes and mountain men engaged in fur trapping. To that extent it resembled the adobe plaza reconstructed at Fort Vasquez and Bent's Old Fort. William Clark granted the Bent, St. Vrain Co. a license to trade on November 8, 1836. After construction, Marcellan St. Vrain, Ceran's brother, managed the trading post and employed such notable people as James Beckwourth, and Jean Baptiste Charbonneau.
After the Taos Revolt in 1847, Ceran and Marcellan returned to St. Louis. William Bent was left sole proprietorship by 1849 after Ceran sold his shares of the Bent, St. Vrain Co. William Bent moved to Fort St. Vrain before building a New Fort Bent.