Fort ProvintiaEdit profile
Coordinates: 22°59′51″N 120°12′10.12″E / 22.9975°N 120.2028111°E / 22.9975; 120.2028111
Chihkan Tower (Chinese: 赤崁樓/赤嵌樓; pinyin: Chìkǎnlóu; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Chhiah-khám-lâu), formerly Fort Provintia in West Central District, Tainan City was built in 1653 by the Dutch during their colonization of Taiwan. The fort was surrendered to Koxinga. Since 1945 the site has been known as 'Red-topped Tower' (赤崁樓). This name derives from the Taiwanese aboriginal word Chakam.
In addition to the site's architectural and artistic significance, its library of dictionaries and business transactions documents the Siraya language spoken by the native inhabitants of the region during Dutch rule.