Fort Leonardo

Fort Leonado also known as Fort St Leonardo, Fort San Leonardo and Fort San Anard is a fortification on the island of Malta. It stands between the villages of San Leonardo and Zonqor above the shore east of Grand Harbour.

It was built between 1872 and 1878 by the British.

Fort St Leonardo still exists, and is in reasonable repair, though a house has been built inside the ditch and the ditch in-filled to create an access. The seaward ditches are all in good repair. The fort is now used as a farm.

The layout of the fort is complicated, with a smaller inner fort forming one corner within the larger part of the fort that contains the gun emplacements.

A modern construction, possibly a reservoir, alongside the shoreward side of the fort detracts rather from its original appearance, and the approach to the main gate has been mined for rubble and is substantially damaged.

The fort inside the ditch is not open to the public The photographs were taken during a private tour.

Image gallery
  • Gatehouse and approach bridge.

  • The gate and shoreward ditch.

  • The south ditch.

  • The seaward ditch.

  • The seaward ditch.

  • Looking back into the inner fort from the outer battery.

  • Inside the inner fort.

  • Inside the inner fort.

  • Looking down into the inner fort from the wall.

  • Looking out onto the access bridge through a rifle slit in the guardhouse.

  • Graffiti left by the garrison

  • Graffiti left by the garrison

Coordinates: 35°52′40″N 14°33′35″E / 35.8778°N 14.5597°E / 35.8778; 14.5597

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com