Fort Lawton
Fort Lawton is a United States Army fort located in the Magnolia neighborhood of Seattle, Washington. The fort was included in the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure list.

History
In 1896, the Secretary of War selected what would later be Fort Lawton for construction of an artillery battery intended to defend Seattle and the south Puget Sound from naval attack. Local citizens and governments donated 703 acres (2.84 km 2) land to the United States Army for the installation the next year. Fort Lawton was named after Maj. Gen. Henry Ware Lawton (1843”“1899), a veteran of the American Civil War, the Indian Wars, and Spanish-American War campaigns who was killed in action in the Philippines. The fort opened on February 9, 1900 on a 1,100 acre (4.5 km²) site, which was redesigned in 1902 for infantry use. In 1910 a design overhaul, to include housing for officers and enlisted men, was prepared by landscape architect John C. Olmsted. In 1938, the Army offered to sell Fort Lawton back to the city of Seattle for one dollar, but the city declined, citing maintenance concerns. At least 20,000 troops were stationed at Fort Lawton at a time during World War II, with over 1 million troops passing through both before and after the war. The post was also used as a Prisoner of War (POW) camp, with more than 1,000 Germans imprisoned there and approximately 5,000 Italians passing through en route to Hawaii for imprisonment. On August 15, 1944 an Italian POW, Guglielmo Olivotto, was found murdered at Fort Lawton after a night of rioting between Italian POWs and American soldiers. Twenty-eight African-American soldiers were later court-martialed, convicted of the crime, and sent to prison. The convictions were set aside in 2007. A formal army apology ceremony was held on July 26, 2008 and to present to the relatives of former soldiers and the two remaining survivors years of back pay following the overturn of their dishonorable discharges. On Memorial Day 1951, a grove of trees and monument honoring the war dead was dedicated near the post chapel. The Korean War brought a flurry of activity as troops headed to or returned from Korea processed through Fort Lawton. In February 1953, the Fort Lawton Processing Center transferred half of its functions, the out-bound tasks, to Fort Lewis (now called Joint Base Lewis McChord). Returnees continued to process through Fort Lawton. see also: Fort Lawton Air Force Station In the late 1950s, Nike anti-aircraft missiles and Air Force radars were in use at Fort Lawton, but in 1968 the site was rejected for proposed defense upgrades. The Army surplussed 534 acres (2.16 km 2) in 1971, which was given back to the city in 1972, and dedicated as Discovery Park in 1973. Fort Lawton still exists within the park as headquarters of the U.S. Army Reserve's 364th Expeditionary Sustainment Command. The family housing has been used by the U.S. Navy for Navy and Coast Guard personnel for the past 30-plus years. It is currently being vacated, with the officer and NCO housing scheduled to be sold to the public when the market improves. The Capehart Housing in the center of the park was vacated by December 2009 and demolished during the summer of 2010; the land will become part of Discovery Park. Fort Lawton will close no later than September 14, 2011; many of its units have already moved to a new reserve center at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, near Tacoma, Wash. The 364th Expeditionary Sustainment Command will be the final unit to leave Fort Lawton and will move to its new facility in Marysville.

The Historic District
The Fort Lawton Historic District (FLHD) in the heart of the Fort Lawton grounds contains numerous historic buildings and structures; numerous other buildings and structures have stood there in the past. The following list includes only buildings and structures that survived at least into the 1980s.

Source for buildings, construction dates, comments:

The Chapel
In addition, the chapel, which is outside the Historic District, has the status of a city landmark.

Notes, References
  • Fort Lawton Landmark District, Department of Neighborhoods (City of Seattle)
  • Heather MacIntosh, Preservation at Fort Lawton and Discovery Park, Preservation Seattle (Historic Seattle), January 2004.
  • Yardley, William (October 26, 2007). "1944 Conviction of Black G.I.’s Is Ruled Flawed" (Newspaper article). New York Times . http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/27/us/27punish.html?hp . Retrieved 2007-10-28.


Official structure number Structure Constructed Comments Image 417 Administration Building 1902 640 Double Officers Quarters 1904 642 Double Officers Quarters 1904 644 Double Officers Quarters 1904 653 Air Defense Operations Building 1960 torn down 2008 654 FAA Radar Building ca. 1959 torn down 2008 Radar buildingsBuilding 672 and 670 can also be seen at left, and 640”“644 at right. 655 FAA Radar Antenna Dome ca. 1959 670 Single Officers Quarters 1904 670-area housing 672 Double Officers Quarters 1899 676 Double Officers Quarters 1899 679 Double Officers Quarters 1899 681 Reviewing Stand 1900 730 Double Barracks 1904 Destroyed by fire February 13, 1983 731 Double Barracks 1899 S-732 Post Gymnasium 1942 733 Post Exchange and Gymnasium 1905 734 Band Barracks 1904 735 Bakehouse 1902 Bakery until ca. 1938, offices until ca. 1960, no longer exists 754 Quartermaster Shops 1905 no longer exists 755 Civilian Employees Quarters 1908 T-756 Commissary Warehouse 1939 no longer exists 757 Quartermaster Storehouse 1899 no longer exists 759 Guard House 1902 T-760 Storehouse 1938 Used at some point as a garage for a fire truck, no longer exists T-761 Bus Stop 1949 Scenes from movie Expiration Date (released 2006), filmed at this location 901 Double NCO Quarters 1933 900-area housing 902 Double NCO Quarters 1933 903 Double NCO Quarters 1904 904 Single Family NCO Quarters 1930s Burned down approximately 2000 905 Double NCO Quarters 1899 906 Single NCO Quarters 1902 Former hospital steward's quarters; previously adjacent to post hospital, north east of administration building, moved to present location around WWII 907 Double NCO Quarters 1899 909 Double NCO Quarters 1904 915 Quartermaster Storehouse 1905 no longer exists 915A Addition to Quartermaster Storehouse 1939 no longer exists 915B Bulk Storage Warehouse 1938 no longer exists 916 Quartermaster Stables 1908 Building 916 917 Quartermaster Stables 1902 S-918 Post Engineer Facility and Vehicle Storage Building 1904 Later turned into a groundskeeper's building, no longer exists