Fort Hoskins
Fort Hoskins was one of three "forts" (which were actually unfortified posts) built by the U.S. Army to monitor the Coastal Indian Reservation in Oregon in the mid- 19th century. The Fort Hoskins Site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

History
The post was begun in 1856 on the Luckiamute River under the supervision of then Captain Christopher C. Augur. Fort Hoskins was finished in 1857 with then-lieutenant Philip Sheridan in charge, and was named after Lt. Charles Hoskins, who had died in the Mexican”“American War. The fort was located about 19 miles northwest of Corvallis. The community of Hoskins took its name from the fort. Fort Hoskins was garrisoned by a number of companies of soldiers throughout its short existence. Two soldiers who were stationed at the fort during the American Civil War kept journals of their experiences: Royal A. Bensell and William M. Hilleary. Their accounts are of unmitigated boredom and dampness, but they provide a good picture of 19th-century life in the area. Fort Hoskins played an indirectly important role in local and state history because of the leadership of several out-of-state soldiers who decided to stay in the area after they were mustered out of the army. Several placenames in the area, such as Kings Valley, are connected with these soldiers. The fort never saw any action, though a bloodless insurrection by the natives at Yaquina Bay was put down by the soldiers. Fort Hoskins was abandoned in 1865.

Archeological site
The site of the fort was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. There is nothing left of the fort today except for a few recovered artifacts. Benton County has opened the site as Fort Hoskins Historical Park.