Fort Clinch
Fort Clinch is a 19th century brick fortress located on a peninsula near the northernmost point of Amelia Island, along the Amelia River. The fort lies to the northeast of Fernandina Beach at the entrance to the Cumberland Sound and lies within Fort Clinch State Park.

The site of Fort Clinch has been occupied by various military troops since 1736. Construction of a fort, later named Fort Clinch, was begun in 1847 after the end of the Second Seminole War. The actual compound is pentagonal in shape, with both inner and outer walls, and consists of almost five million bricks. There are corner bastions and embrasures in the outer walls and several structures in the interior courtyards, including a 2-story barracks. The fort was named in honor of General Duncan Lamont Clinch after his death in 1849. General Clinch was an important figure in the First and Second Seminole Wars who also fought in the War of 1812. The fort was seized by Confederate forces in early 1861 and provided a safe haven for Confederate blockade runners during the first year of the Civil War. However, its recapture by Federal troops in early 1862 gave the Union control of the adjacent Georgia and Florida coasts and it served as the base of Union operations in the area throughout the Civil War. The fort was placed on caretaker status in 1869 and remained so until 1898 when it was occupied during the Spanish-American War, but abandoned afterwards. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) began restoration during the 1930s, and in 1935, the State of Florida bought 256 acres (1.0 km 2) that included the then-abandoned fort and the surrounding area. Fort Clinch State Park including the fort, opened to the public in 1938. The fort itself was closed to the public during World War II and used as a communications and security post, but re-opened after the war ended. The fort was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. State Park personnel reenact military life at the fort, which is open from 8:00am till sundown, year-round.