Former New York Life Insurance Company BuildingEdit profile
The Former New York Life Insurance Company Building, also known as the Clock Tower Building, located at 346 Broadway between Catherine Lane and Leonard Street, in Manhattan, New York City was built between 1894 and 1899. The company's headquarters building, originally built in 1868-1870, needed to be expanded eastward to Lafayette Street and Stephen Decatur Hatch was engaged for the job. Hatch designed the extension, but died before construction could be completed. The firm of McKim, Mead & White took over the work, and completed the extension in 1894, following Hatch's design. The company then decided to replace the original building as well, and McKim, Mead & White provided a "palazzo-like" design with a clock tower whose clock was manufactured and installed by the E. Howard Clock Company.
New York Life left for the New York Life Building on Madison Square Park in 1928. In 1967, the City of New York acquired the building and moved several city agencies along with the Criminal Court, Summons Part there.
The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, and designated a New York City landmark in 1987.