Former French Mission BuildingEdit profile
The Former French Mission Building ( Chinese: 前法國外方傳道會大樓) is a declared monument of Hong Kong. It is located at 1, Battery Path, Central. It currently houses the Court of Final Appeal of Hong Kong.
The present three-storey building was built in 1917, probably based on a previous structure on the site known as "Beaconsfield". It is constructed in granite and red bricks in Neo-Classical style, dating from the Edwardian period.
The original structure on this site dated back to 1842. The first Governor of Hong Kong, Sir Henry Pottinger resided there from 1843 to 1846. His successor, John Francis Davis also lived there for a while, before moving to Caine Road. The building likely served as one of the earlier homes of the Legislative Council of Hong Kong. The building then had several owners, and was acquired by the Missions Étrangères de Paris in 1915. In 1917, they renovated it and added a chapel in the north-west corner, topped by a cupola. It was finally sold back to the Hong Kong Government in 1953. It was used successively by the Education Department, the Victoria District Court, the Supreme Court, and the Government Information Services. It is now used as the Court of Final Appeal until sometime after 2011 when the court will then move to the current Legislative Council Building, formerly the Supreme Court Building. The building was declared a monument on September 14, 1989.