Flynn Mews HouseEdit profile
The house is situated in the heart of Dublin on the site of an existing 1847 Georgian Manor. LOHA was asked to design a single family mews by converting a coach house into livable space and adding an additional 160 sq meters into a garden area. The local planning council requested that the existing coach house facade be restored and remain in view from the primary manor. LOHA used the councils parameters as the driving force behind the design and primary point to inform design decisions moving away from the facade.
Entering from the street into the forecourt, the facade is highlighted by a passageway that gradually slopes downward. Rather than providing a front door into the coach house, the passageway pulls the guest through this volume and into a lushly landscaped central courtyard. It is in this split level garden that the Georgian facade is first seen, reflected in the glass of the addition. Juxtaposed between the restored Georgian facade and the contemporary floating glass curtain wall, a suspended colored glass and steel bridge connects the two volumes through an insertion into an existing window of the coach house wall.
Description by architects