Flushing High SchoolEdit profile
Flushing High School is a four-year public high school in Flushing, in the New York City borough of Queens. The school is operated by the New York City Department of Education.
Flushing High School, founded in 1875, is the oldest public high school in New York City.
The school, located on Northern Boulevard, is housed in a distinctive Neo-Gothic style building featuring turrets and gargoyles. It was built in 1912-1915, with another wing added in 1954. The building was designated as a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1991.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.Media references
- Archie Bunker, the fictional character from the 1970s American television sitcom All in the Family, attended Flushing High School.
- Lynn Burke, Olympic gold medalist in swimming
- Calvin O. Butts, Pastor of the Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem and President of FHS Senior Class of 1967
- Dave Barbour, musician who played with Artie Shaw and Benny Goodman
- Jerry Bock, co-author of the Broadway musical Fiddler On The Roof'
- Robert Christgau, music critic, The Village Voice
- Godfrey Cambridge, African-American actor and comedian
- Lenny Lipton, songwriter, co-author of Peter, Paul & Mary's classic hit Puff, the Magic Dragon'
- George Maharis, Actor best known for his role on the TV show Route 66
- Paul Meltsner, WPA era artist
- Joshua Prager, Internationally recognized physician and first Flushing High School Graduate to attend Harvard
- Eddie Fogler, NY all city guard, North Carolina basketball star and college basketball coach
- Harold Rosenbaum, Noted conductor, professor, artistic director and founder of the Canticum Novum Singers and the New York Virtuoso Singers
- Steven Haft, Noted Film Producer, Dead Poet Society
- Vincent Sardi, Sr., restaurateur
- Dave Von Ohlen, former Major League Baseball player for the St. Louis Cardinals and the Oakland Athletics
- Webster Griffin Tarpley, historian and political commentator, graduated 1962
- Najibullah Zazi, convicted al-Qaeda member (dropped out)