Flushing ArmoryEdit profile
The Flushing Armory is a historic National Guard armory building located in the Flushing section of the New York City borough of Queens. It is a brick and stone castle-like structure built in 1905–1906, designed to be reminiscent of medieval military structures in Europe. It was designed by State architect George L. Heins.
It consists of a two-story, hip-roofed administration building with an attached 1 1⁄2-story, gable-roofed drill shed, spanning open space of 11,400 square feet (1,060 m2). Both sections are built of load bearing brick walls sitting on a brownstone foundation. The building features a five-story octagonal tower at the northwest corner and a three-story round tower at the northeast corner. They feature tall, narrow windows and crenellated parapets. Throughout the armory's history it has been used for the National Guard, as a homeless shelter, and a gymnastics center. It is currently used by the New York City Police Department's Queens North Task Force.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.