Florida Governor's MansionEdit profile
The Florida Governor's Mansion (also called The People's House of Florida) is a historic U.S. residence in Tallahassee, Florida. On July 20, 2006, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. The mansion, which was designed to resemble Andrew Jackson's Hermitage, was designed by Marion Sims Wyeth, who also designed numerous Palm Beach mansions including Mar-A-Lago. The building has 30 rooms and 15,000 square feet (1,400 m2) of living space on 1.5 acres (6,100 m2) of land. The mansion's furnishings are managed by the eight-member Governor's Mansion Commission.History
From 1845 (the year Florida was admitted to the Union) to the beginning of the 20th century, governors of the state usually lived in hotels or boardinghouses. In 1905, the state legislature appropriated $25,000 to construct an official residence for the governor, and the home was finished in 1907, George Saxon, a banker from Tallahassee, donated four lots on which to build the residence. Henry John Klutho designed the home, with a Neoclassical exterior and a a 14-room Georgian interior. The house served fifteen governors and their families until 1955, when it was determined that a new mansion would need to be built due to a lack of enough space in the house and various structural issues. $250,000 was appropriated by the Florida State Legislature in 1953 for a new mansion, and the Cabinet approved the plan in 1955. Many items in the first mansion were auctioned in 1955 to aid in furnishing the new mansion, raising $7,500.
Noted Palm Beach architect Marion Sims Wyeth was unanimously chosen by both the Cabinet and the Governor's Mansion Advisory Committee to design the new home. Wyeth was told to use Andrew Jackson's home in Tennessee, The Hermitage, as a model for the exterior. However, due to a shortfall in the state's budget, the completed home had fewer rooms than originally planned. Including furnishings, the new mansion cost $350,000 and was completed a year later, in 1956. The first governor to live in the new mansion was LeRoy Collins, in the spring of 1957. Collins and his wife were actively involved in the new house's construction, and in 1957, they suggested to the state a Governor's Mansion Commission. In 1979, First Lady Adele Graham, the wife of Bob Graham, began organizing tours for the mansion. The next year, she founded the Florida Governor's Mansion Foundation. The foundation was created to solicit private funding for the restoration of the mansion, its furnishings, and its grounds.
In 2005, the first addition to the mansion in 20 years occurred, a new 550-square-foot (51 m2) library for Governor Jeb Bush and his wife, Columba Bush. The Cabinet approved the $500,000 expansion in August 2005. The building celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2005, as well as being added to the National Register of Historic Places. In 2007, Governor Charlie Crist announced the addition of a solar-powered swimming pool and a hydrogen fuel cell at the mansion. The mansion now includes a greenhouse and the Manatee Sculpture Garden, and is next to a private park.