First Unitarian Church of DetroitEdit profile
The First Unitarian Church of Detroit is located at 2870 Woodward Avenue in Detroit, Michigan. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.History
The First Congregational Unitarian Society was incorporated on October 6, 1850. This church, their second, was dedicated in November, 1890. The congregation used the church until 1936, when the widening of Woodward Avenue required a remodelling of the church. At that time, the worshipped with the Universalist Church of Our Father. This arrangement worked out so well that the two congregations merged. The First Congregational building was then sold in 1937 to the Church of Christ denomination. The building went through other owners before finally being abandoned.Architecture
The First Unitarian Church of Detroit is a Romanesque Revival-style church built of red sandstone; although somewhat remodelled during the 1936 widening of Woodward, it remains substantially as built. The gabled facade has a great expanse of masonry; a simple four-bay porch with a shed roof and stone Romanesque columns spans the first floor. There is a two-story hip-roofed projection at the corner, and a side porch with stone piers covers a side entrance.References and further reading
- Hill, Eric J. and John Gallagher (2002). AIA Detroit: The American Institute of Architects Guide to Detroit Architecture. Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-3120-3.