First English Lutheran Church

First English Lutheran Church is located at the corner of James Street and Townsend Street. This church was founded in 1879 Syracuse, New York. The building was designed by Archimedes Russell and built in 1911. It is significant for its mission-inspired architecture.

This church is active has worship services on Sundays at 10:30 am (winter sessions)and 9:30 am (summer hours), with Sunday school for children. There is a summer program for children K-4th grades.

A food pantry is available at First English, with hours 9 am (EST) to 11:45 am (EST).

A clothes closet is also available from 9 am (EST) to 11 am (EST).

The church's mission statement says that it is "a safe, spiritual haven for sharing the truth and love of the gospel of Jesus Christ" and that they "welcome all people regardless of race, creed, color or sexual orientation for worship and community services," that they "respect the needs of a changing world, maintain a history of our Lutheran roots and heritage, recognize our God given talents, especially the gift of music, grow as we reach out to serve our neighbors, friends of FEL, as well as each other," and that they "hope, trust and pray that we might fulfill God's mission to share our many blessings."

The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.


 

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov updated
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • LaurentFough
    LaurentFough updated a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • cytai
    cytai updated a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • updated
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • David Keuning
    David Keuning updated 2 digital references
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com