Firhill Stadium
Firhill Stadium or Firhill Arena (also previously known as Firhill Park, but commonly referred to as simply Firhill) is a football, rugby union and rugby league stadium located in the Maryhill area of Glasgow, Scotland. As of 2010 it is the home ground of football club Partick Thistle F.C. and the Glasgow Warriors rugby union team. Past ground-sharing agreements have also seen Firhill act as a temporary home for two more football clubs, Clyde and Hamilton Academical. It was also a venue for the 2000 Rugby League World Cup.


Firhill has been home to Partick Thistle since 1909, who had been forced to vacate their previous home at Meadowside a year earlier. The present main stand was constructed in 1927, a year before the ground hosted its only full international fixture to date, against Ireland. Firhill hosted the first European Cup match ever to be held in Glasgow, When Djurgården of Sweden played their "Home" match at the Stadium against Hibernian in 1955. The Swedish team played at Firhill because of the freezing conditions in Sweden at the time of the match.

Rugby Union
In December 2005 Firhill also became the home of Glasgow's professional rugby union team, Glasgow Warriors, when they moved from their previous base at Hughenden Stadium. After returning to Hughenden in 2006, the Warriors took up a two-year residency at Firhill from the start of the 2007-08 Magners League season. This was extended in April 2009 for a further five years.

Rugby League
In 1996, Firhill was the site of the Scottish national rugby league team's first game on home soil, a victory over their Irish counterparts. Rugby league, very much a minority sport in Scotland, has returned to the ground on several occasions since, including for the 2000 World Cup.

The modern stadium comprises three seated stands, with an unused area at the south end. There are no standing spectator areas. The current capacity of the ground includes 10,887 seats with no standing available.

Main Stand
The Main Stand (the first to be constructed at Firhill in 1927) was built with an original capacity of 6,000, but now holds somewhere closer in the region of 2,900 seats. There is a small enclosure of terracing at the front of the stand. In January 2006, the club announced that the Main Stand would no longer be used on matchdays due to high maintenance and stewarding costs. There have been exceptions, however, including the Scottish Cup match against Rangers and the final match of the league season against Greenock Morton. On both occasions away fans were seated in the North Stand and the Main Stand. Also when Glasgow Warriors play derby matches against Edinburgh, the main stand is typically used.

Jackie Husband Stand
All home fans are now housed in the stand opposite the old stand, the Jackie Husband Stand. This is an impressive large cantilever stand which was built on the site of a huge section of enclosed terracing nicknamed "the Shed" by supporters of Partick Thistle. The stand was constructed in 1994 with a capacity of 6,263 and is named after former Thistle player Jackie Husband.

North Stand
The newest stand is the North Stand, at one end of the ground. This was built in 2002 to meet the Scottish Premier League criteria on stadium capacity, which stated at the time that member clubs must have 10,000 seats in their ground. Ironically this criteria was changed at a later date to only 6,000 seats, which not only allowed for the relegation of Partick Thistle, but meant they had spent much of their resources on a stand that under new regulations was unnecessary. Originally, the stand only ran for two thirds the length of the pitch. It was extended in 2003 so that it ran the full length of the pitch with a capacity of 2,014. It replaced a large bank of terracing. The construction of this stand was assisted by the sale of some land to allow the construction of student flats which now lie behind the stand.

City End
Thistle had announced plans to replace the disused terracing at the south end of the ground, commonly known as the "City End" with a new structure that would consist of a 1,000-seat stand as well as residential and office accommodation. However, planning permission from Glasgow City Council was not forthcoming, . Planning for a new development is ongoing. The grassy bank at the City End has come to be known by the fans as "The Bing".

Record attendances
The record attendance for a Partick Thistle game at Firhill was set against Rangers in 1922 when 49,838 people attended. The overall ground record, however, was for the 1926 Scotland v Ireland international when around 55,000 people attended.