Fifth Avenue High School

Fifth Avenue High School is a defunct school located at 1800 Fifth Avenue in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania's Bluff neighborhood.

Built in 1894 as a large Romanesque/Gothic Revival building, it served the Pittsburgh Public Schools until its closure in 1976. Since then the building has sat empty, boarded up and fenced off.

Fifth Avenue was the first fireproof school in Pennsylvania and was home to the Alpha Chapter of the National Honor Society. Its colors were red and white, and the mascot was the Archer, so chosen because of the school's remarkable architecture and hallways filled with Gothic and Victorian arches lined with red and white tile.

Fifth Avenue was a dominant force in city sports, winning the state title in its last year open for basketball. The school served the Lower Hill District, while its main rival, Schenley High School, served the upper and middle Hill.

The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1986 and was listed as a Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation landmark in 1998 and a City of Pittsburgh landmark in 1999.

The school is currently in the process of being renovated and converted into loft apartments by a Pittsburgh-based investor group. The project is expected to be completed by late 2012.

Among its alumni is longtime forensic doctor, medical examiner and attorney Cyril Wecht.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 3 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 3 years ago via OpenBuildings.com