Federal SchoolEdit profile
The Federal School is a one-room schoolhouse on the National Register of Historic Places located on Darby Road in an area of Havertown, Pennsylvania known as Coopertown, near the Allgates Estate. It was established in 1797, and was called the Federal School because of the community's pride of being part of the Federal United States, but not much else is known about it until 1849, when the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania purchased the building and officially renamed it the Haverford Seminary Number 1. It served as a public school from then until Horatio Gates Lloyd bought it in 1940. After his family moved out it served as a storage building until the Historical Society of Haverford Township restored it in 1991. The Federal School now has 1849 school re-enactments for 4th Graders in the School District of Haverford Township.