Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago Detroit Branch Building

Edit profile
Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago Detroit Branch Building

The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago Detroit Branch Building is a bank building located at 160 W. Fort Street in Detroit, Michigan. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.

The building was constructed in 1927 in a Classical Revival style.

In 1951, an eight-story glass-and-marble annex, designed by Minoru Yamasaki, was added to the building. The Modern annex is clearly designed not to mimic the original building, but to make a statement all its own.

In 2004, the Federal Reserve Bank moved to a new building on Warren Avenue, leaving the building on Fort empty. A developer purchased the building with the intention of creating loft space.

In July 2011, Quicken Loans representatives were visiting the building, leading to speculation that Dan Gilbert would purchase the space.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com