Faversham Stone ChapelEdit profile
Faversham Stone Chapel refers to the ruined Church of Our Lady of Elwarton, located near Faversham, Kent, England. Its origins date back to the Roman era when it was used for pagan purposes. In AD 601 Pope Gregory directed St.Augustine not to destroy pagan buildings, but to adapt them for Christian use: this is an example of a building that was converted. It was reported to be in disrepair by 1511 and seems to be abandoned by 1600.
The chapel is an Ancient Monument managed by The Faversham Society.