Farwell Building
The Farwell Building is a commercial building, in the Chicago school architecture style, located at 1249 Griswold Street in Detroit, Michigan. It was designated a Michigan State Historic Site in 1974, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.

Description
The Farwell Building is an eight-story rectangular building, built of brick. The front facade makes extensive use of glass, and includes both horizontal and vertical elements. A horizontal frieze crosses the facade at the entrance level, and a second frieze decorated with triglyphs and metopes adorns the second story. Ionic pilasters stand at the corners of the building and flanking the central entrance. Decorative iron grillwork is on the entrance transom, and the interior features a Tiffany mosaic ceiling, brass elevator doors, and marble walls.

History
The Farwell Building is named for the estate of Jesse H. and Emmer J. Farwell. The building was completed in 1915 from plans made by architect Harrie W. Bonnah. The decorative (and structural) ironwork was made by the Russel Wheel and Foundry Company of Detroit. In 1956, the Farwell was significantly altered: the original terra cotta cornice with Pewabic tiles was bricked over, and significant changes were made to the ground level facade. Higgins Management Company purchased the Farwell during the 1970s and renovated the building for office space. However, since 1984, the building has been completely vacant. In October 2009, it was announced that the State of Michigan was in negotiations to buy the building from the current owners through the federal Neighborhood Stabilization Program. A final sale price (to be determined) of over $3 million USD has been announced (less past-due property taxes owed on the building).

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com