The Farmingdale Railroad Station is a historic railroad station along the Main Line (Ronkonkoma Branch) of the Long Island Rail Road. It is officially located off Secatogue Avenue, on Front Street and Atlantic Avenue, in Farmingdale, New York, however, the actual station is on Eastern Parkway. Parking is available on both sides of the tracks, and requires either a permit from the Village of Farmingdale for either residents or non-residents, or payment for parking meters. Another parking lot exists west of the station along Front Street, and behind private property along the west side of Elizabeth Street, and can also be accessed from Cornelia Street. Village of Farmingdale residential and non-residential permits are required for this parking lot as well. An underground pedestrian walkway connects the two platforms.History
Farmingdale Station was originally built on October 15, 1841, when the Long Island Rail Road first went through the village. It was rebuilt in July 1875 and again in 1890. An electric sub-station was added between 1908 and 1909 for the Huntington Railroad. During the Ronkonkoma electrification, the station was officially in electrified service in June 1987, while east of the station was not officially in service until December 1987. On November 13, 1991 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1996, federal funding from the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act was obtained to restore the station building.
During the 2002 US Open and 2009 US Open golf tournaments at Bethpage State Park, the station was used by spectators as a transfer point to shuttle buses to Bethpage Black Course. In 2009, approximately 29 percent of all attendees arrived via the Long Island Rail Road.Platforms and tracks
This station has two high-level side platforms each 12 cars long. The Main Line has two tracks here. The north platform next to Track 1 is generally used by westbound or New York City-bound trains. The south platform next to Track 2 is generally used by eastbound trains.