Erie Canal Museum

The Erie Canal Museum, in Syracuse, New York is a museum about the Erie Canal across New York. It is located in the Weighlock Building, itself listed on the National Register of Historic Places of the United States.

The museum was founded in 1962 and is a private, nonprofit corporation. It is housed in a weigh lock building dating from 1850, where canal boats used to be weighed when travelling through Syracuse on the canal. The museum includes a gallery of present canal life.

The Weighlock Building was listed on the National Register in 1971.

History

The Weighlock Building was constructed in 1850 and was known by 1940 as the State Department of Public Works. Since 1962, the building has been occupied by the Erie Canal Museum.

Market Building was built in an abandoned canal basin which extended south from the Weighlock Building in East Water Street. The building was originally intended as a "center for meat dealers" but failed as such. Later the building was repurposed for city offices and as a meeting place for the public. The front of the building was occupied by a small, fenced grass plot.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com