Erb's Covered BridgeEdit profile
Erb's Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans Hammer Creek in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. A county-owned and maintained bridge, its official designation is the Hammer Creek #1 Bridge.
The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color.
The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-34. In 1980 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places as structure number 80003536. It is located at 40°10′2.4″N 76°14′38.4″W / 40.167333°N 76.244°W / 40.167333; -76.244 (40.16733, -76.24400). The bridge can be found on Erb's Bridge Road north of Picnic Woods Road approximately 1 mile north of Pennsylvania route 772 and Rothsville, Pennsylvania.History
The bridge was originally built in 1849 for a cost of $700. It was built on the Erb family's tract of land in the farming region along Hammer Creek. In 1887 the bridge was rebuilt by John G. Bowman for $1744.Dimensions
- Length: 70 feet (21.3 m) span and 80 feet (24.4 m) total length
- Width: 13 feet 1 inch (4 m) clear deck and 15 feet (4.6 m) total width
- Overhead clearance: 11 feet 6 inches (3.5 m)
- Underclearance: 9 feet 6 inches (2.9 m)