The two-masted pygmy trading schooner Equator on which in 1889 Robert Louis Stevenson and Fanny Vandegrift Stevenson were passengers on a voyage through the islands of Micronesia, visiting Butaritari. Mariki, Apaiang and Abemama in the Gilbert Islands, (also known as the Kingsmills) now Kiribati.
Originally built in San Francisco in 1888 as a copra trader, it was converted to steam in 1897 and eventually abandoned in the harbor at Everett, Washington in 1957. The vessel was Everett’s first artifact placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. The remains of the hull are protected by a shed near the Port of Everett’s Marina Park. Several attempts to rebuild the ship have failed, and restoration is considered unlikely. Photographs of Stevenson's voyage exist. Built in Benecia, California she is the last surviving hull of that time period known to exist. In her career she works under sail, steam, gasoline, and diesel power. She worked copra, fish, tug and support for the Geodetic Survey. Because of her shoal draft she could get close on shore where other vessels couldn't go.Robert Louis Stevenson websites
- Silverado Museum, California, devoted to Robert Louis Stevenson
- The Writers' Museum, Edinburgh, Scotland, The United Kingdom, which holds photographs and documents of Robert Louis Stevenson
Coordinates: 48°00′14″N 122°13′05″W / 48.0039°N 122.2180°W / 48.0039; -122.2180