Epping railway station, Melbourne

Edit profile
For other uses, see Epping railway station. Epping is a railway station in Melbourne, Australia, located in the suburb of Epping, on the Epping railway line. Classed as a Premium Station, it is in Metcard Zone 2. It is the terminus for the Epping line.

Facilities
Epping station is located at the western end of the disused Cooper Street level crossing, which provides station access. The station consists of two platforms, in an island format, with a large brick building at the Whittlesea end of the station. The building houses an enclosed waiting area, ticket facilities and toilets. A large Metcard ticket vending machine is located in the waiting area, which is able to dispense most ticketing options available and also accept Australian banknotes and coins. A small Metcard ticket vending machine is also situated inside the waiting area. The Epping suburban train depot is situated at the Flinders Street end of the station.

Platforms/Services
Platform 1:
  • Epping line ”“ all stations services to Flinders Street
Platform 2:
  • Epping line ”“ all stations services to Flinders Street


Bus services
  • 556 Northland SC ”“ Epping Plaza via Reservoir RS, Epping RS (every day). Operated by Reservoir Bus Company.
  • 564 Bundoora RMIT ”“ Epping Plaza via Epping RS (every day). Operated by Dyson's Bus Services.
  • 571 Epping ”“ South Morang via Plenty Valley SC (every day). Operated by East West Bus Company.
  • 575 Thomastown ”“ Epping North via Epping Plaza SC, Epping RS (Monday to Saturday). Operated by Reservoir Bus Company.
  • 577 Epping Plaza ”“ Mill Park Lakes via Epping RS (every day). Operated by Reservoir Bus Company.
  • 901 Frankston ”“ Melbourne Airport via Dandenong, Ringwood, South Morang, Broadmeadows (every day). Operated by Grenda's Bus Services, East West Bus Company, Tullamarine Bus Lines and Invicta Bus Services.


History
Epping station opened on December 23, 1889 as a wayside station on the line to Whittlesea. Services to the station were operated as country services, from 1924 a railmotor shuttle service from Reservoir station to Whittlesea operated until the line was closed north of Lalor station in November 1959. The station was not reopened until electrification was extended one station from Lalor to Epping in 1964, with the station building relocated from Glen Waverley station which was being rebuilt at the time. The station was then rebuilt during the late 1980s in conjunction with the construction of the adjacent train depot, with the north face of the current island platform brought into use in July 1987 along with temporary station buildings. The new platform was built on a new alignment with 200 metres of new track needed to link to the existing line. The old platform and station building was demolished in 1987. The new Solid State Interlocking was commissioned in 1989, and was the first fully computerised system in Melbourne. The suburban train depot was opened in 1990, with the station rebuilt at the same time as an island platform. The depot was opened to replace the Jolimont Workshops in central Melbourne, and was built at a cost of $40 million. The depot covers 10.8 hectares, and can accommodate 31 trains, with the facility including a main workshop building, four elevated tracks, two lifting tracks, and a train wash. Epping was upgraded to a Premium Station in 1998. As of 2010 construction has been underway for a new station adjacent to St Monica's College.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 6 media and uploaded a media file
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com