Engine House No. 11Edit profile
The Engine House No. 11 is a fire station located at 2737 Gratiot Avenue in Detroit, Michigan. It is the oldest remaining firehouse in the city of Detroit, and was designated a Michigan State Historic Site in 1975 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.History
Detroit's Engine Company No. 11 was organized as the "Steam Fire Engine Company #11" on January 1, 1884. The original equipment included a horse-drawn Silsby Steam engine and hose reel cart. The company converted to motorized operation in 1916, obtaining a Seagrave gasoline propelled pumping engine.
The firehouse tower on the southeast side of the building was shortened during World War II so an air raid siren could be installed. In 1972, Engine Company No. 11 moved to new quarters. The building was used by the Emergency Medical Unit until 1976, and is now a Detroit Fire Department museum, containing several pieces of historic fire fighting equipment.