Emerson Bromo-Seltzer TowerEdit profile
The Emerson Bromo-Seltzer Tower was erected in 1911 at the corner of Eutaw and Lombard Streets in Baltimore, Maryland. It was designed by Joseph Evans Sperry and was constructed by Bromo-Seltzer inventor "Captain" Isaac E. Emerson. It was the tallest building in Baltimore from 1911 until 1923. The design of the tower along with the original factory building at its base was inspired by the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence, Italy, which was seen by Emerson during a tour of Europe in 1900. Systems engineering for the building's original design was completed by Henry Adams. The factory has since been replaced with a firehouse. The building's most distinctive feature are the four clock faces adorning the tower, on the North, South, East and West sides. The clock faces are adorned with the letters B-R-O-M-O S-E-L-T-Z-E-R, while the Roman numeral numbers are less prominent. From street-level to rooftop, the tower stands 288.7 feet (88.0 metres) high, and was originally adorned with a 51 foot (15.5 metre) tall Bromo-Seltzer bottle, glowing blue and rotating. Due to structural concerns however, the bottle was removed in 1936. The tower was virtually abandoned in 2002, but in early 2007 the Baltimore Office of Promotion and the Arts began renovations to transform the building into 33 artists' studios. Also, as of 1973, the Baltimore Fire Department's Steadham Fire Station, first due to Downtown Baltimore, sits at the tower's base, housing BCFD Hazmat 1, Airflex 1, Medic1, Medic 23, MAC23, Engine 23, Rescue 1, and formerly Truck 2.