Embassy of Angola in OttawaEdit profile
The Embassy of the Republic of Angola in Canada is the embassy of Angola in Canada. It is located in Panet House at the corner of Laurier Avenue and King Edward, next to the University of Ottawa. The current charge d'affaire ad interim is Sofia Silverio Da Silva.History
Panet House was built in 1876 by Colonel Charles-Eugène Panet the Deputy Minister of Militia and Defence. In 1915 the house was converted to apartments and the roof was replaced by a third floor. It was purchased by the city of Ottawa in 1965 when there was talk of destroying it to make way for the proposed King Edward Expressway, these plans were abandoned however. In 1975 the city proposed replacing it with a fire station, heritage groups objected to this and eventually the new station was built across the street. On September 21, 1983 the city council finally declared it to be a heritage structure. In 1986 it was sold to developers who restored it. For a time it was the Canadian Conference of the Arts before being purchased by the Angolans in the late 1990s. Previously the Angolan embassy had been located in a suite at 75 Albert.