Elsternwick railway station, MelbourneEdit profile
Elsternwick is a railway station on the Sandringham line in Melbourne, Australia. It is located 9.8 km from Flinders Street Station, on Glen Huntly Road, Elsternwick, and is in Metcard Zone 1. Elsternwick is classed as a Premium Station.
The ticket office is located above the island platform, as are two Metcard ticket vending machines, toilets and indoor seating. The station consists of an island platform accessible via a pedestrian walkway from the station building on Glen Huntly Road. The carpark is multistorey with a lift and holds around 200 vehicles; on weekdays it fills up by about 08:30. Citybound trains normally arrive on the western side of the island platform, while southbound trains normally arrive on the eastern side of the island platform. A pair of crossovers are located at the down end of the station.
Nearby attractions are the Elsternwick Golf Course, the Elsternwick Hotel, the ABC's Ripponlea studios, the Elsternwick Classic Cinema, the Jewish Holocaust Museum, the Elsternwick Shopping Centre, the Daily Planet brothel, and the National Trust of Australia-listed Rippon Lea Estate.
Platforms and services
- Sandringham line - all stations services to Flinders Street
- Sandringham line - all stations services to Sandringham
The first station was opened in 1859, as part of the Melbourne and Hobson's Bay United Railway Company's network. The company and network was taken over by the Government of Victoria in 1878 to become part of Victorian Railways. As with the suburb Ripponlea, which had been named after the adjacent "Rippon Lea Estate" of Sir Frederick Sargood, Elsternwick had been named after the largest property in the district, Charles Ebden's "Elster".
In the 1880s, the Elsternwick station also functioned as the Melbourne end of the railway line to the large scale sugar beet processing mill that had been established at Rosstown (see Rosstown Railway) — now known as Carnegie — and beyond. This railway was seldom used and it ceased to function in 1916.
An electric tramline between Elsternwick and Point Ormond opened in 1915; it closed on 22 October 1960. The tram terminated at the railway station, with the route becoming part of the extended 246 bus route. The current station and grade separation of the Glen Huntly Road / tramway / railway level crossing was completed in October 1960. Elsternwick was upgraded to a Premium Station on 13 November 1995. The station ground level carpark was closed in 2002 and 2003 while a residential/retail development was built on it in a deal where the developer got the land and built a multistorey carpark with lift access for commuters. The station itself was refurbished in 2004.