Eliot Memorial BridgeEdit profile
The Eliot Memorial Bridge is a footbridge which was built in 1904 in memory of Charles Eliot, landscape architect to the Metropolitan Park Commission. Although he is perhaps best known for his design of the Charles River Esplanade, much of the open space in the Boston area benefited directly or indirectly from his work. The Great Blue Hill Observation Tower, known locally as Eliot Tower, a 35-foot-tall (11 m) stone structure, was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Its rubble stone base is joined to that of the bridge and the two appear now to have been built together. The two lie near the 635-foot (194 m) summit of Great Blue Hill, a few hundred yards from and a little below the Great Blue Hill Weather Observatory, which is at the top of the mountain. The bridge, which crosses a small ravine, is a remarkably large and sturdy structure for the location. The tower offers view over about 270º, with the view toward the Observatory and its forest of radio, TV, and microwave antennas being blocked by trees. The view includes all of Boston, Boston Harbor, and much of the South Shore. Both were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Although the National Register database gives a 1929 date for the tower, it was built by the CCC, which was not started until 1933.