El Pardo is a ward (barrio) of Madrid belonging to the district of Fuencarral-El Pardo. As of 2008 its population was of 3,656.History
The ward was first mentioned in 1405 and still 1950 it was an autonomous municipality of the Community of Madrid. One of the most notable buildings is the "Royal Palace of El Pardo", ordered by King Henry III of Castile and built in 1406. It was the first construction built in the area.
The Palace of El Pardo was the residence of General Franco when he was head of the Spanish State.Geography
El Pardo is located in the northern suburb of Madrid, close to the Manzanares river. Part of its area is covered by a forest named Monte de El Pardo (El Pardo Mountain). The ward contains a neighbourhood named Mingorrubio.Photogallery
The Manzanares at Monte de El Pardo
Panoramic view of the Monte de El Pardo
The gardens of the Quinta del Duque del Arco