Eitel Hospital

Eitel Hospital is a former hospital building in Minneapolis, Minnesota, located across from Loring Park. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building is a fairly plain brick building, made even more so when its original cornice was removed. The hospital was founded by Dr. George Eitel in 1912 and served wealthy citizens of Minneapolis. It featured sun porches with Navajo rugs and private rooms with brass beds and mahogany furniture. His wife Jeanne Eitel, a nurse, directed the nursing school.

In 1982, it began a formal alliance with Abbott Northwestern Hospital, and in 1985, the 144-bed hospital closed. The building later became the Willow Street Center for Youth and Families.

In 2005, Village Green Companies submitted a proposal for renovating the former Eitel Hospital building into apartments, along with two additional six-story buildings on the block. The proposal included an adaptive reuse renovation of the 1911 building, along with rebuilding the cornice in a design similar to the original cornice. Later additions to the building were proposed for demolition. Ground was broken on the complex on October 25, 2006.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com