Egremont CastleEdit profile
Egremont Castle is located in the town of Egremont, Cumbria. ( grid reference NY00981050) The original castle was built in the centre of the town on a mound above the River Ehen on the site of a Dane fort by the Normans after the conquest. The present castle was built by William de Meschines about 1130-1140 and further additions were made in the 13th century. It eventually fell into disuse and became the ruin it is today.
- Fry, P.S. The David & Charles Book of Castles, David & Charles, London, 1980. ISBN 0715379763