Effingham County CourthouseEdit profile
The Effingham County Courthouse, in the county seat of Effingham County, Illinois, Effingham, is listed on the United States National Register of Historic Places. The courthouse joined the Register in September 1985. The building is one of Effingham County's two Registered Historic Places. The other, in Altamont, is the Charles M. Wright House. The 1871 structure is still in use.
Effingham County has constructed a new building, named the Effingham County Government Center, one block west of the 1871 courthouse. In September 2007, the new building began use and the old courthouse no longer is used on a daily basis.
The Effingham County Courthouse was started in 1871 and completed in 1872 at a cost of $40,000. Its style is known as Second Empire, a style popular in the United States 1865-1880 that came from France's Second Empire period during the late 18th century. There have been two minor changes to the exterior. The bell tower was changed from the Second Empire style to a simple square with a pyramidal roof, which enclosed the tower during the 1940s. The southeast exterior door was changed to become handicapped accessible, and a small porch roof was added to shelter the door.