Edwin H. Hewitt House
Edwin H. Hewitt was a prominent local architect in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He designed this house, at the corner of Franklin Avenue and Stevens Avenue, in 1906. The house is within the Stevens Square neighborhood. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

Education
Hewitt studied at the University of Minnesota, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris. He returned to Minnesota in 1904, and in 1911, he partnered with architect Edwin Brown. Hewitt's house is architecturally significant within Minneapolis and testifies to the impact of his career.

Memorial Commission
Since 1919, the Soldier's Memorial Commission had been planning a memorial to all of the community's soldiers. A suitable location was sought and it was intended to be placed on Victory Memorial Drive. The memorial was budgeted at $100,000 and several fundraising plans were looked at. Mr. E.H. Hewitt of Hewitt & Brown Architects submitted a proposal and sketch for the monument. The Great Depression put a damper on the plans. The money collected was invested and had aided in maintenance of the bronze stars and crosses. The memorial was put on hold, to be looked at after World War II. It is not known what happened to the plans. http://www.victoryneighborhood.org/history.php

Buildings designed by Hewitt and Brown
  • Architects and Engineers Building (NRHP)
  • Qwest Building
  • Eugene J. Carpenter House (NRHP)
  • George Christian House, now the Hennepin History Museum, in the Washburn-Fair Oaks Mansion District
  • Hennepin Avenue United Methodist Church


Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com