Eastbury Manor House
Eastbury Manor House is an example of an Elizabethan building situated in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham in Greater London, England. The house is in the ownership of the National Trust and is open to visitors.

History
The land on which Eastbury House now stands was once part of the demesne of Barking Abbey. It was built in the 1570s by a wealthy merchant Clement Sisley, who purchased the land after the dissolution of Barking Abbey. It was probably the first brick built building in the area at that time; it had glass windows and very high chimneys, indicating the wealth of the owner. Glass was probably imported from Italy as at that time English glass was relatively poor in quality. A dendrochronology survey dates a timber framework to 1566 and there is documentary evidence which describes the dates 1572 carved in the brickwork and 1573 on a lead water spout indicating finishing touches to the building. According to a local legend, the Gunpowder Plot of 1605 was first conceived at Eastbury. Much of the original interior wood paneling and decor was removed when the house was extensively modernised to accommodate a conference centre and training facilities. The old doors have been removed to accommodate new, modern doors and most of the wood floors have been covered with modern carpets and laminate flooring. Eastbury Manor House is now managed by the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham but is a part of the National Trust. The House was given Grade I listed status in 1954. In recent years the house has benefitted from a major restoration programme, financed through several successful Heritage Lottery Fund bids. The latest phase, scheduled for completion in 2009, will include a major permanent exhibition on the history of the building and its various owners, designed by museum consultants Higgins Gardner & Partners.

Opening times
The house and grounds are open all year from 10am till 4pm on Mondays (except Bank Holiday Mondays), Tuesday and the first and second Saturdays of every month. The tea-room and shop are open all year from 10am till 3:30pm on Mondays (except Bank Holiday Mondays), Tuesdays and the first and second Saturdays of every month. The property is closed on 27 and 28 December.