Eastbourne Redoubt
Eastbourne Redoubt is a fort on what is now Royal Parade, Eastbourne, East Sussex, England.

The Redoubt was built between 1804 and 1810 to support the associated Martello Towers in defending against the threat of an invasion by Napoleon. It has defended the Eastbourne coast for nearly 200 years. Like its twin Dymchurch Redoubt it was designed as a barracks and supply depot for the towers, and armed with 11 guns, although only 10 guns were ever installed. During the First World War the Redoubt was used by the military police as a headquarters and temporary jail. Following this, the Redoubt was purchased by Eastbourne Borough Council for £150 with the plan to turn it into a venue for leisure activities. During the Second World War the building was requisitioned by the army to be used for storage. Canadian troops also spent time there in the build up to the D-Day landings. After the war, the Redoubt was home to a model village ( miniature park) and an aquarium. The model village was vandalised in the 1970s, and the aquarium closed in 1996.

The redoubt opened as a military museum in 1977, and is now the largest military museum in south east England. It contains military collections of The Royal Sussex Regiment who moved to the museum in 1983, The Queen's Royal Irish Hussars (see also The Queen's Royal Hussars), who moved in 1988 and the founding collection, the Sussex Combined Services. In addition the museum also features displays on the History of the British Army, the Life of the Redoubt display and a model of the Redoubt Fortress. Among the artefacts that the Museum possesses and displays is General Hans-Jürgen von Arnim's Steyr Automobile 1500A Afrika Korps Staff Car, captured by the Royal Sussex Regiment in Tunisia, as well as a Mark III Centurion Tank, a Russian bugle rescued from the ill-fated Charge of the Light Brigade, a uniform of the Desert Rats worn at the Battle of El Alamein in 1942 and a Gulf War camp of the Queen's Royal Irish Hussars. Temporary exhibitions are held each year and have recently focussed on Victoria Crosses, the postcards of Donald McGill and battles fought by British forces in Zululand during the late nineteenth century.

Opening times
The museum is open to the public from April through to November each year. Opening hours are usually Tuesday ”“ Sunday, 10am ”“ 5pm. It is closed on Mondays except Bank Holidays. The winter months are used for building restoration and the creation of new displays.

The museum stages a number of events including wargaming shows, and holds activities in conjunction with Eastbourne Victorian Festival.

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com