East Ham tube station
East Ham tube station is a London Underground station on the District and Hammersmith and City lines, located in East Ham, east London. It is in both Zone 3 and Zone 4. The station exit is on High Street North. The station was opened by the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway (LT&SR) in 1858. District Line service began in 1902. The District Line was electrified in 1905 and the service was cut back from Upminster to East Ham; the station then served as the eastern terminus, where passengers transferred to steam trains, until 1908 when electrification was extended to Barking. In 1936 the Metropolitan Line service was introduced. In 1988 the station, along with other stations beyond Aldgate East, was transferred to the new Hammersmith & City line. The station has two platforms, one for each direction. A third bay platform on the northern side of the station, closed in 1958, connected to the Tottenham and Forest Gate Railway (now the Gospel Oak to Barking line) via a curve. LT&SR services, withdrawn in 1962, used platforms to the south of the current station. Much of the original Victorian station architecture has been retained and some restoration work was carried out during 2005.