East Charity Shoal LightEdit profile
East Charity Shoals Light is a lighthouse located in Lake Ontario near the entrance to the Saint Lawrence River. The tower originally served Vermilion Light Station in Ohio (1877”“1929) but was removed after it was damaged in an ice storm. East Charity Shoals Light is not open to the public, but it is visible from Tibbetts Point Light on a clear day. The tower was formed from recast obsolescent cannon after the Battle of Fort Sumter in the American Civil War. On July 23, 2008, the Secretary of the Interior identified East Charity Shoal Light as surplus under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000. The property was described as "Established in 1935. 56 feet tall; property includes a rectangular, reinforced concrete pier built on a wooden crib foundation with protective riprap; and a single-story octagonal concrete deckhouse with a three-story cast iron white tower topped with a lantern and lantern gallery (painted black). Deckhouse stands 11.5 feet tall and is approx. 20 feet in diameter. The concrete pier measures 50 feet long on each side and rises to approx. 18 feet above level of Lake Ontario. Interior of light includes a basement and five stories." Property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and must be maintained according to the Secretary of Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation. Historic covenants will be incorporated into the deed. The easement states "1) An easement for the purpose of preserving an Arc of Visibility within the radial arc of 360 degrees with the stipulation that nothing will be constructed maintained or permitted of a height sufficient to interfere with or obstruct the Arc of Visibility of said light. 2) An easement for an unrestricted right of access for ingress and egress, to and across the Property to maintain, operate, service, repair, and replace equipment as necessary to support its ATON mission; and 3) The unrestricted right to relocate or add any aids to navigation or communications towers and equipment (along with necessary right of egress/ingress), or make any changes on any portion of the property as may be necessary for navigation/public safety purposes."