Dutch Church, Austin FriarsEdit profile
The Dutch Church is a familiar landmark within Broad Street Ward, in the City of London, a self-governing enclave of the capital of the United Kingdom. The original church was a monastic foundation and the Dutch connection goes back to 1550 when King Edward VI gave Protestant refugees from the Netherlands permission to establish their own parish. It is as such the oldest Dutch-language Protestant church in the world.
In 1940, the building was destroyed during the Blitz, but in 1950 a new church was built to the design of Arthur Bailey. The new building is a concrete box frame, externally clad in Portland stone. The church possesses detailed archives, and is a popular tourist attraction, it celebrated its 450th anniversary in the millennium year.
The church was designated a Grade II listed building on 25 September 1998.