Coordinates: 50°29′56″N 4°17′17″W / 50.499°N 4.288°W / 50.499; -4.288
Dupath Well is a nearly intact wellhouse, constructed of local granite, built over a spring. Built of Cornish granite ashlar, it has a steeply-pitched roof, built from courses of granite slabs that run the length of the building. There are badly weathered pinnacles at each corner and a small bell turret, with a highly elaborate canopy, over the entrance. Next to the well house is a medieval, circular trough that collects the spring water.
The small chapel-like building was probably built in about 1510 by the Augustinian canons of the nearby priory of St Germans, to whom the site belonged. The architecture of the well-house is typical of the late 15th and early 16th centuries.
At one time the spring at Dupath was believed to cure whooping cough, and it has been suggested that, in addition to its role in healing the sick, the spring may have been used on occasion for baptisms. One grim tale associated with Dupath recounts that two Saxons – Colan (Cornish for heart or courage) and Gottlieb – fought a duel there for a lady’s hand. But the maiden went unmarried: Colan was killed outright and Gottlieb fatally wounded, though some versions say he died later of ‘impatience’.
It is located at grid reference SX 374 693 just outside the town of Callington in east Cornwall, United Kingdom.
Dupath Well is under the guardianship of English Heritage, and managed by the Cornwall Heritage Trust.
- History and research on Dupath Well: English Heritage